Thursday 14 October 2010

Evaluation

Continuity Editing
Continuity Editing is where you try to make the work of the editor invisible as much as possible to help create a natural flow and let the people who are watching the TV show be immersed in the programme. It is used to grab the audience's attentions and keep them gripped with the storyline, without them realising where it has been edited. The key rules of continuity editing are:
*Establishing shot
*Shot reverse shot
*Eyeline match
*The 180 degree rule (or 'Axis of action')
*The 30 degree rule
*Cutting on action



Establishing Shot
This is a shot that establishes the scene, often used to give the viewer information of where the scene is set.



Shot Reverse Shot
This is a shot that shows one angle of a shot followed immediately by its opposite angle.





Eyeline Match
This is a type of edit which cuts from one character to what that character has been looking at.





180 Degree Rule
This is where two characters are facing each other and they must never appear in the same half of the frame. If any editing has been done, you always have to make sure they appear in that same frame as before, otherwise the audience will be aware that editing has taken place.



30 Degree Rule
This is when you change the angle of the camera to film the same event or object, making sure the camera has moved at least 30 degrees to avoid the effect of a jump cut.





Cutting On Action Shot
This is a shot that emphasises continuity of space and time by matching the action of the ongoing shot with the action continuing in another shot.






Digital SLR Camera
I had to use a digital SLR camera to film our task and to begin with I found it hard to work. I couldn't understand why it wasn't taking a photograph and then I found that I had left the safety cap on the front. Once I had removed this, I found the camera very easy to use as I set the mode to auto then everything was ready for me and labelled well. In the end, it only took a few minutes to do. When moving my pictures onto the computer, I inserted the SD memory card and copied them across. Once I had done this, I inserted them into my blank storyboard document in PhotoShop and wrote annotations to help me with filming.




Organising Filming
On the whole, I believe that as a group we were very organised as we had everything planned before we began filming. By having a storyboard already complete, it gave us a better idea of what we had to do to get this filming correct.



Digital Video Cameras
When starting to film our task, we encountered a problem that the video camera wouldn't fit correctly onto the tripod. Because of this we had to use hand held filming, which to be fair didn't turn out too bad. I was confident using the video camera as I had used one before, and these cameras have generally the same features. To upload our footage from the DV camera to the 'Adobe OnLocation' software, we used a USB cable and this was done very quickly and easily. Once our video was uploaded, we had to choose the clips we wanted to use and copy them from the video into this software for us to then edit them. This was done without any problems.




This shows the 'Adobe OnLocation' software we used to select the clips we wanted to edit.



Editing Process
The program we used for editing was called 'Adobe Premiere Pro'. I had never used this program before so thought it would be quite difficult to use. However, after getting started and doing the basic editing, I found it to be very easy, and it didn't take long to complete the editing. We had to use the cutting tool to crop the clips and because you could stretch the timeline, you were able to combine the different clips together so that there were no jump cuts. I found this tool very useful as you could see clearly what you were doing and it was as simple as uploading your clips, dragging them onto the timeline and cropping them to fit together. Overall, I believe the outcome was very successful as the video seemed to combine together well and when playing the final piece it is very hard to see where we joined the different clips together.

This shows the 'Adobe Premiere Pro' software we used to edit our film.




Youtube
To get our video on to my blog, we had to set up an account in youtube and then upload the video. From here, I had to copy the embedding code to my blog and place it in the 'edit HTML' page and once I had done this the video was uploaded successfully. One point I have learnt from this is when uploading a video make sure it is set to 'public' view otherwise the people looking at your blog won't be able to look at your video if set to 'private'. 



This shows our video on youtube, with the embedded code selected.



Blogger
On the whole, I found Blogger to be a very good website to use. Everything is set out in a logical way so it was quite easy for me to find my way around the site. A good feature was that it allows you to save a draft post before publishing, meaning you can go back to it whenever you want.
My only criticism was that when it came to uploading our video, it didn't work from just copying the embedding code into the main blogging document, so we had to copy it into the HTML page. By doing this, it worked and the video was a very good standard.



No comments:

Post a Comment